Two-factor authentication is a security feature that helps protect your Facebook account in addition to your password. If you set up two-factor authentication, you’ll be asked to enter a special login code or confirm your login attempt each time someone tries accessing Facebook from a computer or mobile device we don’t recognize. You can also get alerts when someone tries logging in from a computer we don’t recognize.
To turn on or manage two-factor authentication:
- Go to your Security and Login Settings by clicking in the top-right corner of Facebook and clicking Settings > Security and Login.
- Scroll down to Use two-factor authentication and click Edit.
- Choose the authentication method you want to add and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Click Enable once you’ve selected and turned on an authentication method.
There are several two-factor authentication methods you can use with your Facebook account when logging in from an unrecognized computer or mobile device. To get started with two-factor authentication, choose either:
- Text message (SMS) codes from your mobile phone.
- Login codes from a third party authentication app.
You’ll need to have at least one of these set up in order to use two-factor authentication. Once you have added either text message (SMS) codes or a third party authentication app on your account, you’ll also be able to set up some of the optional methods below:
- Approving your login attempt from a device we recognize.
- Using one of your recovery codes.
- Tapping your security key on a compatible device.
Using an authentication app for two-factor authentication?
You can only add a third-party authentication app or other two-factor authentication method if you already have access to your Facebook account.
When you turn on two-factor authentication, you’re asked to choose either text message (SMS) codes or a third-party authentication app as your primary security method. A third-party authentication app (such as Google Authenticator or LastPass) can be used to generate login codes that help us confirm it’s you when you log in from a new device for the first time.
To use a third-party authentication app for login codes:
- Install a third-party authentication app on your device. It’s best to install the app on the device you normally use to access Facebook.
- Go to your Security and Login Settings.
- Scroll down and click Use two-factor authentication.
- Click Get Started. You may be asked to re-enter your password at this point.
- Click Authentication App when you’re asked to choose your security method.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.