Two-step verification is a standard security feature aimed at protecting your data. This feature protects your account by requiring two pieces of verification before you can access DocuSign. By default, all users are protected by their password. But with two-step verification, you must know something (your password) and you must have something (access to your phone) in order to log in. If your password is compromised, this second layer of protection prevents a malicious user from accessing your account.
This security feature is supported by most DocuSign apps, including our mobile apps and integrations such as DocuSign for SharePoint.
IMPORTANT: Some third-party apps may not yet support this feature. If you enable two-step verification, you will not be able to use those apps to access DocuSign. DocuSign does this to ensure all access to your account, even from other apps, uses strong authentication methods to access your data.
To set up two-step verification
- Log in to your DocuSign account:
– Go to My Preferences > Privacy & Security.
– Scroll down to the Two-Step Verification section and click MANAGE TWO-STEP VERIFICATION.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to log in to your DocuSign account to start the verification process.
- Check your email for a verification code from DocuSign.
- Enter the verification code in the box provided.
- Click CONFIRM.
- The My Settings page appears with your email address in the Verified Security Information section.
- Click the Two-step verification toggle.
- In the Additional Security Information Required dialog, click ADD SECURITY INFORMATION to add a second authentication method and enable two-step verification for your account.
- Click ADD to select one of the three authentication methods offered. DocuSign recommends you add a verified phone number.
- Follow the guided setup to verify and add your selected method.
– Phone. You can receive the verification code by either text message or a phone call.
– Authenticator App. You can download an app from your mobile app store. See Use an Authenticator app for two-step verification below.
- Once you have completed the verification process, you will have two pieces of verified security information listed and two-step verification is enabled.
- Two-step verification is enabled on your account and you receive a confirmation at your verified security information.
Log in with Two-Step Verification
With two-step verification enabled, when you log in to DocuSign, you are prompted to verify a security code which you receive using your verified security information. After confirming your password, DocuSign sends a verification code to your registered phone number. You can select to receive either a text message or phone call.
To log in with two-step verification
- Use your browser to go to the DocuSign login page.
- Enter your email address and password.
- Select how to receive your verification code and click CONTINUE:
– Text Message. Delivers the verification code over SMS, so this phone number must belong to a mobile device.
– Phone Call. Places a voice call to your phone number. An automated system reads your code out loud.
- Once you receive the code, enter it in the space provided and click CONFIRM.
- If you want DocuSign to remember the device you are using and bypass further two-step verification challenges when you use it to log in, select Remember this device.
- If you want to receive the code through a different verified security method, click Try another way to verify your identity and make your selection.
Use an Authenticator app for two-step verification
You can register one authenticator app to your identity in DocuSign. Authenticator apps are apps that scan a barcode and use that to generate new codes every 30 seconds to verify your identity. They are useful because they do not require cell service or an internet connection to get a code needed for two-factor authentication.
There are several options for which authenticator app to use. Here are a few we recommend:
- Google Authenticator (Apple App Store/Google Play)
- Microsoft Authenticator (Apple App Store/Google Play/Windows Phone)
- Authy (Apple App Store/Google Play)
Note: You must download and install the authenticator app of your choice onto your mobile device before you set it up to use with DocuSign’s two-step verification.
To set up an authenticator app to use with DocuSign verification
- Log in to your DocuSign account and go to My Preferences > Privacy & Security.
- Scroll down to the Two-Step Verification section and click MANAGE TWO-STEP VERIFICATION.
- Log in to your DocuSign account and complete the verification process.
- Click Add Security Information.
- In the Add Security Information list, click ADD for the Authenticator App option.
- On your mobile device, open the authenticator app follow the instructions in the Verify an Authenticator App.
- Once you enter and confirm the verification code, the authenticator app is included in the Verified Security Information list. You can use the app to verify your future logins by entering the code displayed in the app.