Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of protection for your 1Password account. With two-factor authentication, a six-digit authentication code will be required to sign in to your account on a new device, in addition to your Master Password and Secret Key.
Get an authenticator app
Before you can use two-factor authentication with your 1Password account, you’ll need to install an authenticator app on your mobile device:
- Google Authenticator
- Microsoft Authenticator
Although 1Password can be used to store one-time passwords for other services where you use two-factor authentication, it’s important to use a different authenticator app to store the authentication codes for your 1Password account. Storing them in 1Password would be like putting the key to a safe inside of the safe itself.
Set up two-factor authentication
To turn on two-factor authentication:
- Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
- Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
- Click More Actions > Turn On Two-Factor Authentication.
- Enter your Master Password and click Next. You’ll see a square barcode (QR code).
- On your mobile device, open your authenticator app and use it to scan the QR code. After you scan the QR code, you’ll see a six-digit authentication code.
- On 1Password.com, click Next, then enter the six-digit authentication code.
Your 1Password account is now protected by two-factor authentication. From now on, you’ll need to enter a six-digit authentication code from your authenticator app when you sign in to 1Password on a new device.
View and manage authorized devices
To view your authorized devices, sign in to your account on 1Password.com. Then click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
To manage an authorized device, click next to it. You’ll find these options:
- Deauthorize Device: Your account will be removed from the device.
- Require Authentication Code: Your account will remain on the device, but changes you make on other devices will not appear on that device until you reauthorize using a six-digit authentication code.